Fort Trumbull is a fort named for Governor Jonathan Trumbull which was first completed in 1777 near the mouth of the Thames River on Long Island Sound in New London, Connecticut. The present fortification was built between 1839 and 1852. The site lies adjacent to the Coast Guard Station New London and is managed as 16-acre Fort Trumbull State Park by the Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection.
In 1775, Governor Jonathan Trumbull recommended building a fortification at the port of New London to protect the seat of the government of Connecticut. The fort was built on a rocky point of land near the mouth of the Thames River on Long Island Sound; it was completed in 1777 and named for Governor Trumbull, who served from 1769 to 1784. It was attacked in 1781 during the American Revolutionary War, and was captured by British forces under the command of Benedict Arnold.
After a redevelopment period lasting several years, Fort Trumbull was opened as a state park in the year 2000. It is used as a site for concerts and other special events. The main fort is open to the public and has an elevator to access the upper portions of the fort. There is a museum about the fort in the former officers’ quarters.